The University of Sheffield recently engaged a new form of teaching for level 1 students. Known broadly as Achieve More, all first year students (nearly 2000) in the Faculty of Social Science were given a programme of talks on key issues and undertake some investigative challenges that would be completed in within the week. There are 8 groups of students (with 7 in each group), who are working on projects with me concerning the food landscape of Sheffield. I also gave one of the talks. The video of it is available here.
- The graph of population and food supply is from this link: www.s-cool.co.uk
- The Met Office supplied the image of temperature rise
- Data for the Environmental Cost Estimates are via DEFRA
- Jevon’s Paradox slide was presented by Prof. Tim Benton at the Environment Hearing of the Food and Poverty Commission being undertaken by the Fabian Society and which was hosted here at Sheffield.
- The ven diagram is one produced by Tim Allen of Sheffield on a Plate for a talk to level 1 students.